Why Test For Mold

Mold spores or mold fragments, either living or dead, can create a host of infectious or allergic responses, in humans and animals!

 

Molds are everywhere. They are part of the natural ‘background’ of the planet. Depending upon the specific climate and environment, mold exposure can by insignificant or highly significant. Outdoors, there is very little which can be done to control the number of spores which are airborne. Indoors, many options exist. When mold is growing indoors, this is a situation which can have enormous health consequences! The reason is that, very infectious species of molds, which normally exist in small quantities outdoors, can become significant, indoors, when the conditions are ideal. A plumbing leak or any type of moisture intrusion, on environmentally conducive surfaces, can cause molds to amplify rapidly and significantly!

 

Examples of mold species which can cause infection or severe allergic reactions are Aspergillus, Penicillium and Cladosporium! In the outdoor environment, these species are kept in ‘check’ by other competitive species of molds. Indoors, growing on surfaces such as sheetrock and wood, significant populations can be produced, in a relatively short period of time, and airborne and contact exposure will certainly occur. Allergic reactions and upper respiratory infections are a very likely response to these specific species of mold!

 

If a home or business owner sees, smells or believes there has been an unresolved leak or moisture intrusion, or is experiencing symptoms as described above, it is highly advisable to hire an experienced mold inspector, to have the proper testing conducted!